Search This Blog

Thursday, December 27, 2007

I once heard a preacher say, "If you're equipped for it, its not the calling of God on your life." And I was amazed at how God can take someone who was absolutely not able, and make him/her do what God purposes in His heart. But it always intrigued me, at How God works. I was indeed a little disappointed, because I believe I can speak well, I can sing well... Does that mean God can't use me? That was the question that plagued me a long time.
And then I heard about Moses.. When he was called, he indeed said unto God, "But Lord I cannot speak!" It further disappointed me, for after all, Moses had been called to speak to Pharaoh, to the Israelites... when he could not speak....!!
So.. Is there no hope for God calling those who are talented? Will they always fail God by depending on themselves rather than leaning on God in their weakness? After all, if I'm good at something, I may end up taking for granted God's grace and go ahead in my own strength and destroy everything!
But, if you notice, in Acts, Stephen describes Moses as a man "mighty in words and deeds"..BEFORE he was called by God. Then came the question in my mind, did God call a man who was well capable of speaking..? Then what about the fact, that Moses said to the Lord, "I cannot speak"?
Aah.. I finally got it. Its not necessary that when we're called we are not capable of doing anything.. Rather, it means, that when we realise the responsibility given to us by His Majesty, to carry out His purposes here on earth, despite our talents, we can look upon ourselves and say.. "But Lord, I can't!!"
Its a point of realisation that we must reach, that without the Lord's grace, we can do nothing. That's when God can use us.
So Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
May the Lord use you... Mightily!!
Love,
Rini

8 comments:

Ben said...

There is validity in both point of views...Moses, Jonah, Saul...In ur view...David, Daniel, Joseph...but God decides finally...we can't put Him in a box...

Ben said...

Glad u took this up

Rini Abraham said...

yea ben. Its true that He decides. What I wanted to highlight in this post, was, that whether we're able or not..Its finally our brokenness and humility before God in accepting that we can never do anything without Him, even if we're talented.. that's the key to being used by God.
:)
God bless you...

Switchblade said...

Calls to mind the passage we went through for our Sunday morning service yesterday.

2 Corinthians 12:9 He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."

Jaison said...

Hi Rini,

While reading the blog, I started thinking about the two virtues that we find in humans - Pride and Humility... Though the latter is a bit rarer...

God does not entertain pride in His courts...

As the Word says in James 4:6 - "But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says:"God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."

If we read ahead we find in James 4:10 - "Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up."

So Moses set a very good predicament before us... Let God always be a lamp to our feet so that we can walk in humbleness... God bless!!

Rini Abraham said...

Amen! Thanks :)

Sarah said...

hmmmm...im thinkin! :)
I remember someone sayin that there are certain innate qualities that are laid in the human make up by the Father, that makes each person 'qualify' for a certain calling. For instance, if one's calling is to be a worship leader (im narowin it down to music), he/she wud hv the innate qualities like, the taste for music- whether dicovered or undiscovered! In the course of our finding the unique calling on our lives, we need to discover those qualities that we are hardwired with...while the rest of the qualities cud be acquired. So, He has made u a certain way keepin in mind ur calling!

But thats only the first step. He is a God who qualifies the called...He equips the called...if ur calling is to be the head of an organisation, God will equip u by honing the existing qualities that u r hardwired with!

Just thought id put in these thoughts...:)

Sarah said...

Then again, I must add that we cant put God in a box n say that "this is the only way He works!" The Word in Corinthians says "God chose the foolish of the world to shame the wise!"

This topic was worth some serious thought! thanks! :)